When you make an enquiry with us (either in store, on the telephone, via email, via our website or via other websites that we advertise on or are associated with as a representative dealer) we record basic contact information such as name, email address and telephone number.
When you interact further with us, particularly when you make a purchase, you may provide us with additional personal information about yourself (e.g. gender, date of birth, occupation or job title, your vehicle registration number, payment and financial information).
There may be certain essential personal information details that we have to collect from you so that we can provide you with the information, goods or services that you have requested. For example, if you purchase a number plate you may also need to provide us with copies of identification documents (e.g. passport, driving licence, vehicle registration document or other proof of entitlement).
If you are unsure why you might be required to provide us with your personal information, please get in touch with us.
Our telephone system logs and records all calls for training and quality assurance purposes. Each of our premises has CCTV for security purposes and the safety of our staff. We may therefore collect CCTV footage of you if you visit our premises.
Our website uses “cookies” to collect information. Cookies are files with a small amount of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer’s hard drive. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent.
Pixel Tags (also known as a web beacons) are a small strings of code that represents a clear graphic image and are used in conjunction with a cookie. A pixel tag allows us to capture certain additional types of information about a visitor's actions on a web site, such as a visitor's cookie number, the time, date, duration and number of page views, a description of the page where the tag is placed and details about any items that were purchased. Pixel tags help us analyze our customers' online behaviour and measure the effectiveness of our website and our advertising.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
Personal data we receive will be used for the purposes it was provided, including:
- to perform our obligations in respect of an order you place, including:
- parts or services;
- authorising payments;
- maintaining warranty records
- providing after sales services
- keeping you up-to-date with news, updates, promotions and events, by the types of communication that you have asked us to use;
- where you make an enquiry or request particular information, to respond to that enquiry and provide the requested information;
- where it is necessary to protect your vital interests, including informing you about a potential safety issue or product recall
- for carrying out checks to prevent money laundering
- where it is necessary for compliance with legal obligations, including:
- for record keeping and regulatory compliance purposes, for example with the the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- where we otherwise have a legitimate interest in doing so, including
- sharing your personal information with the manufacturer of a product or supplier of a service you purchase
- verifying the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer;
- for network and information security purposes so we can take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access;
- to comply with a request from you regarding the exercising of your rights;
- to inform you of an update to our terms and conditions and policies;
- carrying out checks to prevent fraud to protect us from dishonest activity;
- to administer competitions and promotions that you enter with us from time to time and to distribute prizes;
- analysing, evaluating and improving our services so that your visit to our website, applications and customer service centre are more useful and enjoyable;
- undertaking market analysis and market research (including contacting you with customer surveys) to enable us to improve the service we offer and so that we can better understand you as a customer and provide tailored offers, products and services that we think you will be interested in;
- operating a CCTV system on our premises to protect the safety and security of our staff, vehicles and property;
- storing phone call recordings and other communications and queries received from you for both quality improvement and staff training purposes.
- Informing you about our range of products and services;
DISCLOSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Except as provided in this policy, we will not provide your personal information to third parties.
We may also share your personal information with:
- a finance provider and/or broker for the purposes of investigating the options available to you, obtaining a proposal and putting that finance agreement in place;
- a third party providing value added services to you such as;
- an insurance provider;
- roadside assistance service providers;
- customer contact centres;
- mobility and car hire providers;
- any party you have given us permission to speak to (such as a relative or friend), your motor insurance company and other people and companies associated with you
- providers of outsourced services, such as hosting and IT support or maintenance services and IT security (to the extent necessary for the provider to provide those outsourced services to us);
- direct marketing communications agencies and consultants;
- market research and market analytics service providers;
- legal, accountancy, auditors and other professional advisers;
- data storage and destruction companies;
- customer loyalty programmes
- our employees and employees of providers of parts or services you have purchased
- third parties with which we may choose to improve our processes, products or services or to investigate the possibility of new processes, products or services.
- the prospective seller or buyer of any business or assets in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets.
We may also share your personal information with third parties if we are under a duty to do so, in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply such other terms as apply to our relationship, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, ourselves or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We may share anonymised and aggregated information about our customers to third parties, such as advertisers, to allow them to select and send relevant adverts to our customers. We may also use such anonymised aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will take all reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
- We will store all the personal data you provide on secure servers.
- All details of financial transactions entered via our website will be protected by encryption technology.
- Paper records that contain personal information will always be kept in a locked environment with limited access.
The duration for which we retain your personal information will differ depending on the type of information and the reason why we collected it from you. However, in some cases personal information may be retained on a long term basis: for example, personal information that we need to retain for legal purposes will normally be retained for at least six years in accordance with usual commercial practice and regulatory requirements. How long we keep data is primarily determined by how long we need it for the purposes we told you we were going to use it for, time periods set out in law and the period we need to keep it to defend ourselves against legal action. We also retain certain details for such period as may be necessary to validate and handle any motor insurance claims we receive after the statute of limitations has expired and any claims we receive where the claimant was not aware of the injuries until a long time after they were caused.
- You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you, via a Subject Access Request.
- Upon receipt of such a request we will, after confirming identity, provide all relevant data we may hold to you in the most practical format unless otherwise stipulated and reasonably possible.
- We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by law.
- If you instruct is to no longer process your personal data we will do so as quickly as possible.
- If you instruct us to destroy any/all of your personal data we may hold we will do so as quickly as possible, as long as we deem this will not affect our ability to defend ourselves against legal action.
- If you instruct us to amend or update any of your personal, or to cease all processing for marketing purposes or to cease contacting you all together we will do so as quickly as possible.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We reserve the right to alter this privacy notice at any time. Such alterations will be posted on our website.
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner's Office and our registration number is: Z5801391
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
Any Data Protection issues can be directed to our Data Protection Officer, Peter Smith Bridgend Ltd, Tremains Road, Bridgend, CF31 1UA or email dpo at bmf.uk.com